Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Valentine's Day DIY

So, I've definitely never claimed to be a DIY expert or interior decorator by any means, but I do enjoy an occasional craft project (especially when my mom is around to help).

For Thanksgiving, my sister-in-law and I made "Give Thanks" burlap banners for our mantels, and after Thanksgiving and Christmas I felt like our mantel looked totally bare! It needed a new banner for sure. I perused Pinterest and settled on an XO design with hearts. The process is pretty simple...I cut out the letters using my Cricut and used the negative space as a stencil. I had some leftover burlap from our previous banners, so my mom just cut out some new squares and we were on our way. The easiest way to paint burlap is with a foam brush and some sort of wipeable/plastic liner (since the paint seeps through burlap). After painting the squares and letting them dry, I decided to go an even easier route with hanging. For the Give Thanks banner, I used a single hole punch and weaved jute through the squares. This time, I just hung the jute on the mantel and attached each square with a miniature clothes pin. I think it turned out super cute!
 
 
The quality of iPhone photos is obviously terrible, but the light pink hearts show up much better/clearer in person!
 
I still wasn't satisfied with the look of the mantel, so my mom and I took off to Goodwill for some inspiration. She found these super cute white, porcelain herb planters with little chalkboard labels on the front. They came in a set of 3, so I bought two sets. My plans for them don't include leaving them empty on the mantel, but I'm sort of stuck with what to put in them. I'm thinking succulents? I tend to kill every plant that enters our house, so I need something that can live with minimal care. Any ideas are welcome!
 
 
 

I've discovered that decorating a house is definitely a work-in-progress. My list of to-do projects is seemingly never-ending! My next adventure to tackle is Valentine's for Hudson's class. Pinterest has me sufficiently overwhelmed!

No comments:

Post a Comment